Monday, March 15, 2010

Mini Maroo

Mini Maroo is my 1997 Nissan Sentra. It was a gift from my Dad in the Fall of 2000 when I was starting my Junior year at BYU. At the time, it had a mere 30,000 miles, a clean maroon (hence the name) paint job, a car alarm with keyless entry, and a CD player--The only thing it lacked was a cassette tape deck--I had put a lot of work into some sweet mixes. But all in all, I was absolutely elated to own my first car.

And to this day, Mini is still getting me where I need to go...now with 150,000 miles, a paint job that has slowly been peeling off for the last couple years, a car alarm that we have to dismantle every time our battery dies because both keyless remotes drowned in the washing machine at different times(you'd think i would have learned my lesson the first time), a backseat seatbelt that won't suck back into the seat, and a CD player that won't play a thing...BUT white trash or not, it's safe in the snow (front-wheel drive baby) and still gets us where we need to go.

So today as I was driving on the freeway, I found myself wondering when I was due for an oil change--I looked at the little sticker and then down at the odometer only to find that at that very second I was driving the final mile before my oil change would be considered no good. Coincidence? No way--it was Mini Maroo reaching out to me. You just know what someone's feeling after 10 years, don't you? :)

4 comments:

Rob Abney said...

That story is powerful as it reminds me of my white honda civic. However mine still has a tape deck. Slow Jams 2010 is so right on the way to work.

Fugal Family said...

ha ha, love it.

mj said...

the connection you two have is inspiring!

Andrea and Preston said...

How funny...way to be in-tuned with your car!