Monday, December 3, 2007

8th time's the charm

It's now been about 3 weeks since I had my surgery and I am pretty much back to normal. My body healed well and the doctor said everything looked good. For those of you who are wondering what the heck I had done, it was just a laparoscopy to check out my insides and get some endometriosis, that I didn't know that I had, removed. I have about as mild of a case as you can have, so it won't effect me long-term, but the deal was that if he sees any, even a little, it was to be taken out. I will spare you any further details, but I am doing fine. Anyway, back to the title of all this, when the nurse was putting in my IV, it wasn't really cooperating. I wasn't allowed to drink after midnight the night before, so my veins were really small. Well, to make a long, painful, patience-trying story short, 3 nurses and 8 pokes/blown-out veins later, they finally got one to work. For the love people, you're dealing with a human body here not a voodoo doll!! I was as good of a sport as I could be, but they felt so bad that we got some movie tickets out of it--and not the dollar theatre, which is near and dear to hearts and wallets--but the real thing! So, I guess they kind of made up for it...except for the fact that besides the surgery scars, I also had 8 large bruises all over my arms. And to spare the weak of stomach (Jacque :), I refrained from posting any pictures of the battle wounds...on the arms, that is!

6 comments:

mj said...

Yeah! I am happy to hear that the Cotterell's are a live. I am also happy to hear that you are healing well. You will be all fixed up and ready to go for Christmas. Sorry about the bruises...it makes you look worse off than you are...maybe you get more sympathy points!

Jess said...

I didn't realize that you had to go through that too! I am glad that something good did come from it.

It's Been a Day! said...

glad to know you are recovering nicely. I'm not very fond of getting IV's so I can't imagine what it would have been like to get 8 of them or at least 8 tries to get one. I would have tried to get some airline tickets out of it or something!! or at least some pain meds - they are almost as valuable!!

Tasha said...

Wow . . .what are these nurses thinking!?! I had the worst experience with Brayden and a whole bunch of pricks (except they never could find the vein and I eventually left) . . . I am definatly feeling for you. The IV is something I just do not like when associated with hospitals. I am very glad to hear you are doing better and feeling better. You have been in our thoughts and prayers. Thanks for all the posts . . . made my day!!

jacque said...

I seriously had to hunch over in my seat and hold my head up to read this! Thanks for not posting the pics! That would have made me weak!

Shar said...

I'm glad you're doing better. I totally feel your pain...the nurses couldn't get an IV in for me when I was getting ready for the epidural. They poked for about 30 minutes in both arms before my mom asked them to get someone who could do it. Turned out to be the anesthisiologist (sp?). He got it on the first poke. But I had a huge bruise on my right arm...Nicole mentioned the movie tickets that Utah Valley gives out for such dreadful experiences, but no go for me at American Fork. :( Maybe that's why Nic & Jeff gave us some later... Enjoy your movie! you deserve it for sure!